Saturday, August 30, 2008

A new doctor, happy day!

Thanks to Aimee ordering me to go see her doctor (yes, you so did "order" me!) I am a happier person today. Dr. Davis (not to be confused with UC Davis) is very calming and comforting, and I'm officially switching to him as my GYN. He's nice, unlike Dr. He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Having done a pelvic exam, Dr. Davis is guardedly optimistic, saying that because my cervix moves around very easily, it's *less* likely that tissue other than cervical tissue is *too* involved. There are a lot of qualifiers here-no one can say anything for sure until they cut it all out of me and chop it up. But it's a start.

So, the upshot is, I am having my CT scan and also a chest xray on Tuesday. The oncologist in Mt. View should be able to see me on Thursday (can't find that out until Tues-damned holiday weekends!) and assuming that is so, I'll be heading down to the Bay Area Thurs, big piles of CT, xray and ultrasound films in hand.

Dr. Davis felt that if all of this goes as planned, I could possibly be scheduled for surgery as early as the following week. I, however, have nixed that one. Anna's birthday is the 14th, and we all have circus tickets for the 13th, and I'm not disrupting all our plans for that weekend. This is going to be disrupting enough! We get one last weekend of normalcy, and she gets her day. So there. The week after, that's a possibility.

The stupid holiday weekend is also putting life on hold in that I can't find out any information about the possible financial assistance programs available to us, and that is stressful, but I'm dealing. Today is for resting and relaxing only, not for being a professional cancer patient, which kind of feels like a full-time job.

Overall though, I feel lots more confident today that things are going forward, and that it'll all be handled and over soon, instead of feeling like I'm just sitting with a cloud over my head. That alone helps a lot.

I'm still working on that rating system. While I love my darling auntie's idea of the Bush monkey faces, I'm really not sure I could stand to look at him any more than I already have to... Maybe I'll count elephants or something. We'll see. If it were an elephant scale, I'd say today is about 6 or 7 elephants. That's not bad, all things considered.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Can I just say woooo friggin hooo for a new doctor and progress? Because I'll tell ya, I was about ready to come over there and smack a doctor or two. I just might send the attack ninjas yet.

And I agree, Bush would be too depressing to look at all the time. Cats, shooting gallery ducks, or ninjas! would be a more cheerful rating system. I'm all in favor of a ninja! rating system.

Even fuzzy bunnies. Green ones, with fangs, like your brother used to draw. :)

Love you
Mom

michelle said...

thanks for the update. If you need anything please don't thimk twice. we are here for you..

Anonymous said...

I'm allowed to "order" you sometimes. And I love it when you actually listen. lol

xoxo
Aimee