Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reality B I T E S


I wasn't really thinking about cancer today.  I was thinking about puppies and yarn and dentist visits, but cancer decided to rear its ugly-ass head anyway.
When I was very first getting started at the cancer center, with the radiation and chemo, I met a very sweet lady named Eloise.  She was the first other patient to approach me and talk to me and give me advice.  She was just so sweet, always happy, outgoing, bubbly, laughing.  We swapped hats, talked a lot, and gave lots of hugs.  I didn't really know her at all, except from the cancer center, in passing, but she always gave me a hug.

Well, I sort of accidentally read the obits for maybe the first time since we've lived up here, since logically enough, we don't really know anyone who might be in there, and found out that Eloise died.

Reality check.  Reality bites.  

Part of me is sad and depressed, but part of me also knows that at least in public, Eloise never was either one of those things.  And that, my friends, is fucking amazing.

Here's to Eloise.  Hugs all around.

1 comment:

Auntie said...

Very special people will pass through your life without ever actually inhabiting it and they are uplifting and generous enough to give you gifts that you carry with you.Maybe you were meant to read the obituary and celebrate Eloise and her not so small gifts of hugs and encouragement, given so freely, when they were needed so badly. Keep the gifts she gave you and be uplifted by them. That is how you honor her.I choose to honor her by celebrating you, and the fact that you are still here. Here is a lotta love for you, from your very selfish Auntie.