Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Am I gonna get voted off the island?



Ok, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm working on my "survivorship plan" and finding out that it's a lot of work!

I am using everyone's suggestions to try and figure out what I need and what my body wants, and learning as I go along.

Most importantly, Lloyd and I have started a notebook keeping track of things like how much I'm sleeping and how I feel each day; how much of the day is active, "up" time, how much exercise, when we're out of the house, how I feel afterward and how much of my day is rest time. And, there is rest, and there is Rest. We have decided, for the purposes of this exercise, that real Rest time, whether I actually fall asleep or not, is defined as time when I am laying down, not doing ANYthing else, like reading, computer-ing, watching tv--just quiet, laying down, resting and hopefully sleeping.

After only a few days of keeping the notebook, we've observed that 3 hours of being up and active, whether it's here or out shopping, is about my limit. And, each day around 3pm is when I start crashing and need to go to bed and do my real Resting, even if I've been sitting all day long. My Resting generally lasts about 3 hours too, I just get up when I really feel ready to get up.

So, progress is being made. I have a couple of great books on cancer survivorship that I'm reading and using to help formulate my plan, such as it is. Mistakes are being made, lessons are being learned, but we're getting there.

Yesterday, I was up and active doing some of my nice indoor gardening for a couple hours, and it felt great, and when it stopped feeling great, I put away my toys and retreated to my rocker. I am having fun filling my house with plants (beauty AND oxygen!) and even put a plant in each boy's room. It is satisfying my spring fever gardening urges, just as I'd hoped, and is entirely frog free. Ha! Take that frogs. I've made a couple terrariums and I think I'm tired of them now. It was a short phase. I'm just planting things now.

That's about all...right now I am in my rocker by the fire, with two doggies on their smooshy beds, and two kitties going batshit with a furry mousie, going to read my survivorship book. Life is good.

No comments: