Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rotten things...literally.

So, remember my pretty terrariums of babys tears? They're kind of black and rotty. Hmm. Either babys tears don't like being terrariumed (since the ones in the teacup planter on the counter are growing bountiously) or I did something wrong. Or a good helping of "both." My final terrarium experiment has a variety of asparagus fern in it, the really wispy kind, and so far it shows no sign of major trauma. We shall see...


My other houseplant work has been paying off quite nicely. All of the pothos cuttings from my poor tangled up pothos are already showing signs of root shoots in the water I've got them in, and everybody's getting their turn at getting dusted and leaves cleaned, new top layers of soil, repotting and general fluffing as needed. I swear, they're perkier than they were before.


I've got one more big tangled mess of pothos that needs work--it's got shoots 4 feet long that only have leaves at the tip. Those are the ones I'm mercilessly cutting back and using the cuttings to propagate new plants from. The older plant gets a kick in the ass and starts filling out once those long runners are gone, so everyone wins. This last one is going to take some seriously patient work to untangle and figure out what to clip, so I've saved it for last. Maybe that's what I'll do before I go to the dentist.

Oh, and the pink polka dot plant is even blooming which is astounding, considering I had no idea that they bloomed!


Wanna know what else is rotten? Our state budget.


Just as I'm getting started on all this dental work, since chemo did a big number on my already delicate teeth, and have a HUGE treatment plan and all kinds of stuff to get done, and I'm thrilled to death..........we find out that it SEEMS our new state budget is going to eliminate all dental coverage for all MediCal patients period forever. Isn't that charming?


We're not sure exactly when this takes effect. One source we heard said July. So, can I please book dental appointments on every M, W & F from here till then? The scariest thing in the world is the idea that we might get halfway through some major treatment that requires a second half, like putting in a crown or a plate, and then get funding pulled, leaving me with half a whatever in my mouth.


Needless to say, after all the crap I've been through, I really, truly AM boundlessly grateful for all the help I've been able to get, but I am still depressed about this. Very. It finally seemed like I was going to get my mouth pieced back together and the rug is getting pulled out. I still have to do some more research and learn some more about this.....what I know so far is sketchy, but I'll post updates as I get them.


Today, anyway, we start the first major procedure. The lower left way-back molar has been falling apart, with chunks breaking out of my head, since chemo ended, along with having a nice big infection (now cured) and bleeding violently every time I brush. Say goodbye to that puppy!


What's interesting is that I have no idea what to expect. I've had a tooth pulled before, once, and I've had my wisdom teeth out. The tooth that was pulled was rotten, and really, really wanted to come out, so it was nothing. The wisdom teeth were impacted and required general anesthesia to dig out. I'm guessing this will have to be somewhere in between, right?


The dentist has me scheduled to extract today, with a check up tomorrow, and suture removal on Monday. So.......just how massive a operation is this going to be? I really have no idea! I'm generally not nervous about dental work, but it feels kind of weird going in with absolutely no clue what's going to be done to me and how major it's going to be. Hmm.


And, in other news, our kids Spring Break is next week. The big, major news about that is that Conner is going camping, Sunday to Sunday. Camping. Conner. Hmm. Do I need to say anything else? Let's suffice to say I believe it will be a learning experience for him. Trevor may explode without anyone to bug for an entire week.


Otherwise, things are quiet. I am reading a lot, knitting a little, and generally trying to get into the groove of my recovery plan. The plan seems to have organically evolved into this: On days without appointments, I get up when my body says to get up, spend some time with my coffee and Facebook, get dressed and functional, do a little yoga stretching, play with a plant or two, and generally keep myself occupied until it's time for my 3:00 nap. A little walking, a little house cleaning or something--light activities. Nap for a couple hours, get up, eat something (hopefully) and then settle in for tv and more reading and knitting. It's not an exciting existance, but does seem to be working. That's usually how about 4 days of the week go, and the other 3, we go out and run errands or something, unless I have doctor's appts, in which case, everything changes. But you get the point.


Right now, I'm working on stretching some every day so that I can HOPEFULLY get myself up to Chico for an actual yoga class on Weds. That is my goal...cross your fingers for me that I make it. I think if I get up there once, it'll turn on the endorphin stream that will keep me going back several times a week. I'm not finding myself knocked out flat near as often anymore--you know, those days where even fiddling with houseplants is too much for me. It's becoming pretty rare, so I figure I'm doing something right....right?


The next couple of days are going to be anyone's guess though. After Dr. Ahn (our nice new dentist) does what he does to my mouth, I could end up out for the count for a couple days. Any injury to any part of me these days takes a major toll on my system as a whole, so I'm not sure what to expect.


Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Auntie said...

Good luck at the dentist! Ask if anything already pre approved will be paid for even after the change goes into effect. Otherwise tell Connor you need his camping tent because you will be at the dentist for awhile.By the way, do they make little teeny gaming computers for backpacking like Josh's camp stove that weighs a few ounces? Otherwise how will he survive?