Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another day, another appointment (or two)

Ok, here's a good one. I just spent more on special cancer-symptom-relieving pants (otherwise known as bike pants) than I did on my wedding dress.

If that's not disturbing, I don't know what is.


So, we went to the chemo education session, and the best news of the day is that my infectiousness shouldn't delay my radiation and chemo start. We have a week until it's scheduled to begin, and a very strong antibiotic on tap, and Roni (the PA in chemo) think's we'll be ok. She listened to my chest and gave me a bit of an inspection, and as long as the antibiotic does its job, I should be able to start as planned.

I will explain everything, but FIRST!!
A full hippo-birdie salute for my little bitty baby brother, who is getting old enough to be a real grown-up now!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!

Back to me and my chemo appointment.

Aimee came along with me and Lloyd and backed me up on taking notes, which was very comforting. Any time I can cross something off of my "I might forget" list, it's comforting, and I took a lot of notes today... Let's see if I can give an overview of the meeting, which was very informative...this will be in no particular order, but I just want to get it out there and then you can ask me questions:

  • Cisplatin (the chemo drug of choice) is given by IV during the once weekly sessions--arm veins. We will have to make sure the veins are holding up well, cisplatin has a habit of "leaking" into the surrounding tissue. I had some trouble like that with IVs after surgery.
  • If we have vein trouble, they will have to install a port. We do not want a port--it's another general anesthesia minor surgery to put this thing under the skin to give me my chemo.
  • Chemo acts on all fast-growing cells, cancer being fast growing cells, which means it also acts on all mucosal linings like in the mouth, meaning that I'm eligible for mouth sores as well as other fun things
  • First hour at chemo, I get hydration fluids, steroids, zofran, ativan, D5 (ok, my notes say what looks like D5, Aim??), saline, magnesium, potassium
  • Second hour, I get the cisplatin, along with fluid, lasix (that's what the note says, but I have no idea what it means) which I think is to protect my bladder. Aimee may be able to clarify that.
  • I have a list of about a thousand things for which I should call the hospital or go to the ER if I get them

I think that's it for now.........I'm tired of writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lasix

Lasix is one of the most frequently used medicines and has been around for many decades. Lasix stimulates kidneys to produce more urine, as a result it reduces the amount of free water in the body. Along with increase in urine volume, Lasix causes loss of Sodium and Potassium in the urine.

Lasix is used in following situations:

Fluid overload in the body such as in heart failure or kidney failure

To establish a constant urine flow to prevent potential kidney damage from Cisplatinum