Friday, January 2, 2009

Away to the ocean!!

I was under self-(and husband-)enforced relaxation the last couple days, and too tired to blog, so I didn't.

I forget what I forgot on the last one...probably just that I also went to the lymphedema clinic while we were up in Paradise, where two hours passed really quickly as Mary started the process of both doing my manual lymphatic drainage massages and teaching me how to do them myself. Trust me, having her do it feels way better! I go back there Monday before radiation. See, the radiation increases the lymphedema in my thighs and pubic/genital area, so I'm going to have to get really good at doing this myself, because it's going to need to be monitored every single day to decongest the tissues. Blurgh.

If anyone (Mom) has QUESTIONS about these last couple posts, since they've been kind of un-structured, please ask away! I've been too tired to write as much as I need to if I want to actually explain things properly, so ask questions. (Mom!)

Another fun part of this whole cancer hullaballoo is that I actually need to sit down, concentrate, and take the time to write up 3 lists-- medicine & vitamin dos and don'ts (e.g., no calcium or calcium rich foods 2 hours before or 3 hours after taking my antibiotic), a list of skincare dos and don'ts (what products and practices are ok, what I have to avoid) and a daily routine for weekdays during radiation and chemo. That last one is going to be a biggie--I have certain things I have to do each day for lymphedema (my drainage massage, use of certain skin lotions, a short practice of certain types of yoga poses), caring for the radiated parts of my body, things for chemo-related care, when to leave for my treatments each day, etc. There's so much of it, I actually think if I make up a real schedule, I might not lose track of half of it. Here's where that cancer secretary comes in again--the position's open, if you know anyone who wants the job. The hours are 24-7 and I could probably pay in small bits of yarn.

MEANWHILE, today I'm off to the ocean!!!!!!!! There is still a bunch I have to do to get ready, and a lot of stops along the way (including, hopefully, a nail salon somewhere) but I will, in fact, see the ocean before the day is out. Wheeeeeeee!! I'm actually shocked at how excited I am about that--not really in the little kid, bouncy, wheeeee way, but in the inside, quiet, finally-at-last way. Doesn't make sense, because it's not like I went to the beach every day when I lived in Fremont, I guess I just always knew that I could and that was somehow good enough. Being around water, even a small stream, has always done wonders for my mental state, and especially the ocean. I am going to do yoga, meditate, and relax in an undisclosed location very close to a large beach, and I cannot wait. It's a very short little micro-retreat, but it will do me a world of good, so if there's no blogging to be had, all y'all know why.

Off to the shower so I can get a few more silly things done before it's time to leave. No matter what, I keep thinking of "one more thing!"

No comments: