Saturday, November 1, 2008

Post-Halloween coma time!

Despite all obstacles, Halloween was a success. The rain held off, so while things were wet, the big drops didn't start to fall until things were pretty well over with.

Anna did indeed have a good time going out with the giant, 50+ person group trick-or-treating, a group I will have to help chaperone next year when I am far less cancerous. Trevor hid in bushes with soda cans full of pennies and made horrendous noises to scare people. Conner did his quite excellent statue act on the front porch, scaring the pee out of those who deserved to be scared by moving at the absolute right moment.

After fighting the headache from hell all afternoon, I finally gambled and took a mondo pain pill and gained superpowers for a few hours. I ended up putting on my standard insta-costume (KVI scrubs, lab coat & stethoscope) and manning my post by the front window. Because of the way our front entry path curves, Conner can't see the people coming up the path until they're right on him, and vice versa. From my window seat, I can see all the way down to the sidewalk, so my job was to watch for anyone tiny, almost invariably wearing tiny pink wings, and pop out the front door to hand out the candy and reassure them that nothing was going to eat them. Otherwise, they'd make it half way up the path, see Conner and the decorations, and run in the other direction.

Some of the more medium-sized ones remembered us from last year, and were appropriately cautious. Some of the bigger ones got themselves scared well enough that they left without even getting any candy. Hee hee. Teenagers make good prey.

Next year, hopefully we'll have better weather, and the boys and I can revert to our previous plans, which involved walkies with headsets under their faceless robes, and me spying from the upstairs windows...we have some good ideas planned...

I'll post Anna's traditional Halloween costume photo up here next time I'm near my camera, which is downstairs. My body aches have progressed to about a 17 on a scale of 1-10. I've made it down and back up the stairs once, and I do not have any immediate ambitions to try and do it again. This is the part where I pay for those few hours of super-powers. Today is for laying still and listening to the very loud, very heavy rain. Rain is good.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Email me pictures please.

It was warm, sunny and almost 70 here yesterday. There are no kids in my neighborhood, but there was nothing to stop them in other places.

The Martian Death Plague has made its way to Ohio. I was in bed by 7:30 last night, because unlike a certain husband of yours, I don't try to tough it out. Nyquil and 12 hrs sleep and I feel better today.

Rest today and recover from being Super-Step Mom. *g*

Love you
Mom