Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A funeral, family & friends



Well, it was a sad day for those of us among Aimee's extended family and friends, but in a strange way, also a warm and enjoyable one just for being together.

The service was simple, and very different than any other I'd ever seen. Instead of a service held by a priest, pastor, or reverend, the people that did all of the speaking required for the service were the VFW volunteer group who came, in uniform, to give the service, place symbolic offerings for Dad, play "Taps," and give a 3-volley gun salute. An honor guard folded and presented a flag to Aimee's family, which was accepted by her brother, who is an active-duty major in the Army.

After the services were over, everyone went back to Aimee's aunt's house for a small reception. I raced around a tiny bit at the start, getting all my food done and put out and trying to help as much as I could. After things were all taken care of though, we were actually able to hang out and chat with people, and it was a very pleasant afternoon. I got to talk to an old friend, Jamie, I hadn't seen in YEARS!

I think most of all, it felt good for me to be there to offer support to Aimee and help with things. I made the food, of course; I brought Emily a little stuffed "Lambie," as he was immediately named to keep her company at the funeral; I had a basket full of little pocket packs of Kleenex to hand out; I fed people, and I was able to hover around Aimee and give her hugs and just BE there for her and her family.

People have been doing so much for me for so long now, I think I needed to be able to pay back somehow. I think that actually makes sense, when you think about it.

So, it was a long and sad and busy and exhausting day. That's about it. Now my plan is not to move at all until Saturday. Well, and then I'll go back to laying around on Sunday. We have dinner plans to celebrate Conner's 15th birthday at Buca di Beppo, which he wil LOVE--garlic bread and ravioli galore. I can just crawl to the car and crawl to the dinner table and I will have hosted a wonderous dinner.

Meanwhile, I am literally falling asleep on the computer again, and it's well before 9 pm! Time for beddy-bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you were able to help your friend in her time of need but also that you didn't over due it. Just relax the rest of the week and sleep as much as you need to. Love you, take care of your self.

Rhonda

Jaime said...

I'm glad both you and Amiee made it through.

Now rest, snuggle with the cats and dogs and sleep.

Eat some pasta for me at Conner's dinner. *g*