Sunday, February 15, 2009

Raining on my parade

It is indeed a good day for ducks, providing the ducks in question have some serious stabilizers on them so they don't blow away. The promised rains have come, with a vengeance, and so have the promised 50mph wind gusts. I heard and felt them during the night, some of the four or five hundred times I woke up, and I've seen a couple since I've been up. It's trippy, you can just see the entire atmosphere outside shudder, like all the air is contracting.

So, speaking of being up in the night, and in the raining on parades department, we all knew I couldn't possibly have my wonderful dinner last night with no ill effects, right? That would be far too simple, and nothing is that simple around here! I zonked out right after I finished writing last night, but was awake at 1, sick, sick, sick. The weird thing is, I woke up and flew straight from bed to bathroom, thinking I was going to puke, but I really didn't. I was sick as hell, but nothing came up--a victory of sorts, right?

Now the trick is going to be keeping it that way... All the rest of the times I woke up in the night were pretty ok, but I've been nauseous all morning. I finally gave up on my coffee after only about a cup, and I've had to resort to the second round of anti-barf meds.

At least I have almost nothing at all to do today but sit still and watch it storm. I do have to head across the street a couple of times to visit my other favorite doggies, but that's no biggie. We got all prepared yesterday, so everyone's ready in case--no, let's get real, when-- the power goes out (Let's hear it for Gridley Electric!) and we can just stay put and kick back. Not only do we need all the rain we can get up here right now, with our record low lake levels and everything else, but a good raging storm gives you lots of mental justification for curling up under a blanket on the couch.

My goal for today is a second try at a successful bootie. I made a great bootie yesterday...I was using a bigger yarn than called for, so I tried making a smaller size than I wanted. It sort of worked, but not quite. I was knitting the newborn size, and instead of ending up with a 3-6 months size, I got something that would probably fit a two year old. Oops. Not quite the result I was looking for! So, sadly, I guess I can't use the wonderful organic cotton I wanted to use; I'll have to use actual baby yarn sized right for the pattern. It's a bummer, because Lion Organic Cotton has got to be the softest, most wonderful yarn I've ever touched in my life--even at a tiny fraction the price of some of the other luscious yarns I own. It just screams out to be used for baby things because it's so clean and soft and yet totally machine washable. It actually gets softer when you wash it.

Hey Lion Brand--make this stuff in a sport or DK weight, please!!!

I will make a mate for my lone giant bootie at some point, and find myself a two year old to give them to. No point in wasting the one I got done!

My outing last night might have been minor, but the truth is that I'm feeling it pretty seriously, even in such silly ways as the backs of my legs telling me what they think of me wearing heels last night. They're not pleased, just in case you were wondering. My body is telling me some things very clearly, and I plan on listening, and being a very good girl today.

But on a quick side note--I forgot to mention last night the interesting looks I
got. I made a point of actually doing a full, major makeup job, including
the special face tint that makes the gray cancer-skin color go away, to try and
disguise my sunken eyes, and made a point of wearing straight black, so as not
to clash with or call attention to my still quite very green hair. Didn't
help...all of the other folks dressed to the nines for their dinner at Claim
Jumper were pretty riveted by the green hair. I'll give our waiter points
for not blinking though.


Off to cruise for something watchable on tv and try getting started on a new bootie while my tummy settles; after that, a shower, clean jammies, and back to my spot on the couch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a great time out. Just remember to take it easy. It is supposed to rain here today, we also really need the rain, luckly I've got the day off from work. One of the perks to working for the state is the holidays. I think I will just spend the day doing my crosstitch, and entertaining my 5 yr old son Brett. Cuddle up in a nice warm blanket, put on a good movie and just relax.
Love you
Rhonda

Jaime said...

I'm glad you got to go out. And I'm sure the people at Claim Jumper have seen green hair before. You are still in California. *g*

I also hope dinner stayed with you and didn't escape. Keep resting, keep doing as little as possible and none of this will be an issue soon. Eating will just be a given. :)

Going to email you later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Love you
Mom