Friday, February 6, 2009

Radiation is done!

Yes, I think that radiation being done actually merits a full chorus line, something that hasn't appeared on here in a long time.

Do I feel good, mentally, emotionally or physically? No. But that's ok--radiation is over.

It was a momentous day. Before my treatment, Rachel (one of my FABULOUS radiation techs) changed the music in the room to "Pomp and Circumstance" (that's the real name of the song played at graduations), followed by "Celebration" and the theme song from Happy Days to mark the occasion. I was also given a certificate and a sticker for my car proclaiming my survivorship.

They made me very glad that I'd made them some little parting gifts. I figured I'd give them their things on Monday or Tuesday so that they have a work-week to enjoy the flowers I plan on taking them. I made each of the girls a little felted flower bracelet, hopefully they'll like that. They made the whole process so much easier on me from day one--literally holding my hand when I went to my first simulation and was having a panic attack, staying late to accomodate a messed up day in chemo, and always, every day, seeming genuinely happy to see me and fun and friendly.

The gang up in chemo is wonderful too, and I have something planned for them on Tuesday, I just have to finish it! There are a lot more people up there, and I haven't spent as much time with them, so it's going to be a small group gesture rather than individual gifties. I've already felted petals to make several needle felted flowers to put in a little vase for them. Then they'll have some flowers that don't die.

So, yes, here I am finishing up treatment, supposed to be working on resting, relaxing and recouping and I'm thinking of making things for the nurses in chemo. Typical me, huh?

I never did get around to making any lists today. After radiation, my DH took me to eat crab in celebration of the day, and then to get me some new squooshy jammies to help my weirdly depressed mood. For those of you who don't know, that's the answer for me. If I'm having a bad day, I'm upset, I'm depressed, I get new jammies and it makes it all better; or at least a whole lot better.

So, we did our little bit of shopping, and then headed home to slug-out on the couch until dinner time. Aimee brought Em over to our place for dinner for the first time, so we could all hang out, and also so that Emily could play with Anna for a while. A good time was had by all.

But, thinking about a list of what I need to do over the next, say, 2 months, I think that Auntie Annie is on the right track. Realistically, I don't know that I can always put myself first for a whole year, but I can definitely handle a few weeks of being absolutely first. That's a good item #1. Getting back into yoga is on there and so is putting away the Christmas stuff before it makes me insane. Oh, and putting away my laundry before that makes me insane too. One or two active items here and there aren't bad, they're good-we call that "exercise." I'll have to jot down the rest of the things as they occur to me.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I need to recover A LOT in the next two months if I want to go to Vegas. At least I hope that having a goal will motivate me to take really, really good care of myself. I hope.

Time to start. Right now. I have a terrible headache (tension, anyone?) and I'm going to try and get myself relaxed into a state of ready-to-sleep-ness very soon, with a goal of sleeping in until at least 9. Ten would be better, but I'm so used to getting up every morning, it may take me a couple weeks of being "off" again to get back to a normal schedule. And I am making a promise to myself that I will take a nap tomorrow. In fact, I think I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me to do so.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When do you plan to come to Vegas? Let me know. Maybe we can get together. I would love to see you and catch up on things. Love you and good luck on your recovery. Just remeber you have to take care of your self first, before you can take care of anyone else.
talk to you soon
Rhonda