Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Here comes the rain again...


Yay for rain! When I woke up this morning, things were kind of clear, like we were in between storms or something and now it's coming down with a vengeance. The wind's picking up and everything. Rumor has it (since that's about all the weather reports up here are good for) that today is supposed to be it for the storms for several days, but that new ones will move in over the weekend. Of course, they'll change those predictions 4 or 5 times before the weekend comes.... Now, the truly amazing thing is that thus far, we haven't lost power. Right on Gridley Electric! That really is a milestone in the history of our life in Gridley thus far. I bet you could never imagine that you'd actually miss PG&E, right? Ohhhh, we miss PG&E. We miss them a lot!!!

In other news, my former hairdresser, Traci, gave me a couple of hints on how to get the green out of my hair. I'm going to put those to the test today and see if they help. I must say though, if you're looking for a good semi-perm electric hair color, Color Fiend sold at Hot Topic rocks. I don't think this shit wants to leave my hair, ever. 5-10 shampoos, my ASS. Hmmph.

So, it's a full week since my last chemo, and I'm starting to feel semi-not-horrible. That's about the best I can call it, but I'll take what I can get. Some food is going down and staying there, and my poor intestines seem to be back to almost normal. Nerve pain is off the charts though, as well as what I think of as "flesh pain," which feels almost like I had surgery again or something, in the pubic and genital area. Nausea comes and goes at random times, and I'm flirting with coming down with another nasty cold, thanks of course to the children. It's not their fault, of course, but they go off to school and mingle with other children and get exposed to everything under the sun, so it's natural that a few of those bugs get brought home. I just have zero immune system to deal with them, so the effects are magnified intensely.

And, of course, my energy levels are still very, very low. Megan tells me that her post-chemo recovery period was quite long, at least 6 months before feeling "sort of normal." Not what I wanted to hear, of course, but then again, nothing I've learned about cancer has been what I've wanted to hear. I've spent this past week resting about 90% of the time, or whatever feels right. The last couple of days I have tried to do 1 productive thing a day, since my house is an absolute pit--not too much, not pushing myself, but doing SOMEthing. So far so good--I've put away my laundry (just in time to have more washed today, lol) and cleaned up the mess on my big craft desk in the living room. Christmas crap is going to be next on the agenda!!! I refuse to have March arrive and still have one shred of Christmas decor laying around here!!!

The good news is that I don't have to do anything more than I'm doing, at least for the rest of this week. I have to go see Andy next week around this time, but that gives me two full weeks of slug-rest post-chemo before doing anything major. I can handle that, and I don't have anything on my calender for the rest of next week yet either. Let's hear it for having no life! Yayayayayy! (wave hands like Kermit the Frog here)

I never dreamed I'd be so happy to have nothing to do!
So, that's life from here. More of the same...

1 comment:

THE PRINCESS of everything ... said...

glad to hear the Vday dinner was a success (and that you got to keep it too!!) sounds like each day is a little better and your humor will eventually turn to the "old, boring" routine of daily life without all the med stuff you have dealt wit for so long. won't THAT be yummy?! Ken & I went off for a couple of days doing nothing & having nothing to show for it (the best kind of getaway) but we are back in the homestead now & hoping everyday is a better day for you from ere on out! HUGS, DeDe