Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More bird pictures



Lloyd just got a new camera, and found a bunch of very cooperative cranes out on a back road. We've never gotten this close to them before.
These are the sandhill cranes, some of the biggest birds I've ever seen around here. Come to think of it, we have some of the biggest birds in North America around here. Let's see... The bald eagles are about 34", with an 80" wingspan. The golden eagles are about 35" and 84" wingspan. The tundra swans are 52" with a 65" wingspan, and the sandhill cranes are 44" with a 75" wingspan, and the blue herons are 46" and 73" wingspan. Those are some pretty impressive numbers! I do find it interesting that the much longer-bodied birds have much shorter wingspans than the raptors do. The books I'm looking at don't give weights though. I'm curious about strange things. But, we have seen more birds this year than last year, especially these big guys, so it's fascinating to me.

Meanwhile, day one of recovery from treatment is going fairly well. I'm in my usual position on the couch letting my mind rot with the Food Network. I'm very cold, so I have a robe and lots of blankets going on. Cold--yeah, it figures, I'm done with treatment, and it snowed last night in Paradise after I left. Ah well. I'm happier not going up there, even if it is gorgeous and snowy now.
Phsyically, I'm really feeling like crap today. I finally had a minor crying fit, but not enough to qualify as a full breakdown, and instead of giving some sort of cathartic release, all I got out of the deal was a really horrible headache and a case of the all-over shakes. Oh well...it is what it is. I'm still being destroyed by diarrhea, so I'm on a liquid diet today, hoping to give my poor bowels enough of a rest that things will calm down in there before I end up hospitalized or something. Tearing up and *nearly* crying every time I hit the bathroom is bad enough, thanks. Otherwise, I am exceptionally weak and exhausted, so I am doing nothing more strenous than this. Oh, I did hang up some clothes in the closet today as a form of exercise. That was my physical exertion for the day. I made a smallish clearing on the cedar chest in the closet.
Tiny victories. That's enough for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Steph........just rest and heal. Don't know if you have tried it yet, but Ensure drink stuff may help you get some strength back. Chicken broth with a small amount of noodles is good too. If you were a puppy I would say Nutrical and baby Pedialight (sp?) !!! Most important thing for you is plenty of rest.

Anonymous said...

If you are hanging up clothes while feeling like crap you really are related to me! Diarrhea is the most miserable thing ever.If it's any consolation we were probably in the bathroom at the same time last night. I have a stupid virus though, not a thermo nuclear chemo bomb reaction like you are having.Even so, I hope both of us are bout through now!

The birds are really cool though and I hope your liquid diet works. Love you lots xoxoxoxo
Auntie

Anonymous said...

OMG thank you for the cake blog, laughed my ass off!

Stephanie said...

You'll have to thank Mom for the Cake Wrecks blog reference...too damned funny, huh??

Diarrhea is the most miserable thing ever, especially in the middle of the night, many times. Gatorade is my friend.

Jaime said...

Love the cranes. I get lots and lots of cool birds next to the river, but I don't get cranes.

Love you
Mom