Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Dinner, er, I mean Day!



Ok, I admit it, I am much happier that we got to go out to our wonderful dinner than I am about anything else right now.

My tummy is pleasantly full of salad with piles of bleu cheese, macadamia-crusted halibut, grilled asparagus & jasmine rice with citrus beurre blanc sauce and red velvet cupcake with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting.

I'm utterly EXHAUSTED, but happy. It was actually pretty weird... We left around 5 to drive out to Roseville, which takes almost an hour and a half. Really quick stop into Frys to get Lloyd a backup battery for his camera, and then over to the restaurant. We got seated almost exactly at 7, when our reservation was, which was fantastic, considering they were telling the walk-in people that there was going to be a two and a half hour wait! Had dinner, and we were out of the restaurant just after 8 (we pretty well never linger over dinners) and heading home........and I was so tired in the car, I couldn't keep my eyes open!!

It was a really weird feeling, nodding off all the way home, like those few hours of sitting in the car and going to dinner knocked me out flat. I finally gave in and let myself zonk out the last 20 miles or so home. I'll probably be back asleep within a half hour.

I guess that tells me something about my stamina levels post-chemo & radiation, huh? Come to think of it, going to dinner like this was the most strenuous thing I've done since Christmas. I am in a lot of pain now though, mainly in those strange places in my lower back that like to hurt so much from time to time. Lesson learned!! But, I have to get some sort of "exercise" and out-of-the-house time sometimes, and I was really and truly ok and ready to go--no pushing myself, no stretching to make it happen, I was all good to go.

But, I went out, I had a wonderful time, I had a wonderful dinner with my wonderful husband and now I can hibernate for the next couple of days. Or weeks.

Our storm is coming in...I've been watching the clouds blow across the sky all day long and now the rain is finally starting here for real. This is supposed to be a monster with 50mph winds starting overnight. We got the yards storm-ready today, putting things where they won't blow away or become deadly projectiles, made the kids get their wind-up flashlights where they can find them easily and otherwise battened down all our hatches. It's still pretty quiet out there, but I'll actually be quite happy if it rains for the next few days without letting up. I don't have to be anywhere, and good lord do we need the rain.

So, the verdict is, dinner out was good, dinner was exhausting, and now I shall be a good girl and be very well behaved and stay in the house and watch the storm.

I hope everyone out there had as lovely a Valentine's Day as I did!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you had a nice valentines dinner. Zonking out in the car, feeling all content and cozy is, in my opinion, one of the best things! Being so relaxed is a great feeling.
I wish my valentines had been nice but it was a total bust! I'll tell ya about it another time.
Take care cuz and relax and veg on the couch and heal yourself.