Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm going to guess that not everyone reads all the comments that get posted on here, so I feel compelled to post Mom's latest here for you:

So let's sum up here. You went into hyper, professional patient, find and
get the best treatment mode six months ago. You hunted down decent doctors,
a great treatment center and with their help got the help you needed to pay
for treatment. You did tons of research, went for tests, talked to everyone
under the sun and finally started radiation and chemo. Then you endured five weeks of being turned into a roasted marshmallow and will end six weeks of being poisoned on Tuesday. You've been puking for weeks, you're in horrible pain as a result of nerve damage and the treatments, you've lost enough weight to scare the shit out of your mother and you're so tired you can barely crawl up and down stairs. You might be surprised you're teetering on the edge of depression and you're
weepy, but I'm not. Reaction had to set in sometime. And you know what? A
whole lot of people wouldn't even be contemplating anything active for ...oh....months. They'd be too busy with being curled into a little ball and being miserable. Cut yourself some slack, sweetpea. You are allowed to cry, grieve, sleep, scream,
laugh, daydream--anything you want or need to do. You don't have to be Wonder
Woman. Don't even try. Listen to all the people who love you and rest. You have fifty, sixty years to deal with all the other crap, like putting away Christmas boxes. Don't sweat the small stuff. Right now its all small stuff. Try and remember that. Love you Mom

Gee Mom, when you put it like that.....

I'm trying. I was pretty good today. I didn't do anything but lay around on the couch, watch tv, knit and read, and zonked out for at least two good hours. We (both of us) changed the sheets on our bed, and I count that as my exercise for the day. I promise to do pretty much the same exact things tomorrow. Monday I have an appointment with Dr. Mazj and blood work to get done, and of course Tuesday is chemo, but Wednesday I can re-install myself on the couch

Tonight we all watched Madagascar 2 on DVD, and headed on up here to bed at 10. I'm totally exhausted, so going to sleep won't be any problem, even if staying asleep is. The evil diarrhea is back with a vengeance. I'm not going to miss any of these side effects, but I think I'll miss the diarrhea the least, by a long shot. A very long long shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you ready? Something I never thought I would ever say to any of my cousins.... Listen to your mother! She is so right Steph. You have been amazing, but you don't have to be. Cut yourself some slack and chill and heal. Helloooo there is a hubby and strong healthy children that can take care of that small stuff. I am sure that they would love to help you so let them.
Get ready for a compliment, just shut up and take it okay. I think you are amazingly brave. Yes, of course you are and have been scared, worried, pissed, all those things...but you are still you, you have an awsome sense of humor and despite all the ugliness you have been going through with this disease and the even uglier treatment of it, you still see the beauty in life. I think you have this beat with attitude alone my brave cuz! I had a not so fun thing happen to me this weekend one of my front teeth broke off and I totally lost it! Total melt down, devistation! Then I thought about you and kicked myself in the ass! Diabetes is not fun, but I can take control of it and help myself and be healthy. If you can fight this cancer I certainly can deal with fixing my teeth and unloading some of this weight off my fat ass so I can live and be happy! LOL
I'm thinking about dying my hair pink...what do you think? :>)