Saturday, October 18, 2008

Blogger's Block

I'm having trouble coming up with new and creative ways to say that there's absolutely nothing to report. Because there really isn't anything! I always knew I'd never be very good at the whole blogging thing, because I really don't have anything all that interesting to say, on a normal basis, and now that the big cancer surgery is over, I think I'm out of material.

Let's see...I have a headache. I have a new friend with me in bed, a big squooshy Eeyore, thanks to Lyn & Rico and Disneyland. He's the exact same color as my big squooshy cat, which can be confusing at times, trust me.

The pain is better every day, but I'm still very, very tired. I'm getting some Christmas knitting done, and finally reading like a fiend again. I'm even doing some writing, working on my kids' story that might get finished someday if I'm lucky. I'm somewhere upwards of 28,000 words now and nowhere near the end...

I'm definitely healing, and feeling better each day, but I've learned what it feels like when I push it.

I didn't MEAN to push it, honest! But Lloyd went out for a nice long motorcycle ride, which he needed, since taking care of me, the kids and the entire house by himself is a huge pain in the ass, so OF COURSE that's the day that the little one got sick at school.

I mean, what other day would it have been? It had to be the day her father was a couple hundred miles away on the bike, so that I could see what it was like to drive for the first time. I mean, I could have called on neighbors, pulling them out of work, to go the 8 or so blocks to the school, but that seemed a bit extreme. A week or so earlier, I would have had to ask someone, but I figured I could handle it, as long as I took Lloyd's car (his is an automatic) and was careful, and I did. I think the secretary at the school almost fainted when she saw me walk in, but I was careful, and it went ok, since it was such a short drive. Retrieved the child, came home, went back to bed.

And yes, I suffered for it. I'm not sure which caused the most discomfort though--the little bit of driving, or the fact that I managed to get nauseous later that afternoon and threw up, which my stomach muscles didn't like at all. So, that was Thursday, and I've been recovering ever since.

That's really been about it. Today is Saturday, which means we'll have a movie night downstairs together (Indiana Jones time!) so I'll spend some time somewhere other than the bedroom. I'm even thinking I *might* be feeling up to a "most of the time" move back to the world of downstairs next week, if things keep going well. I'm really hoping to be able to sit up in a chair long enough to do some spinning soon, since my dear mother sent me about a thousand pounds (ok, maybe not a thousand) of gorgeous wool to spin, and I haven't been able to do a single strand of it yet! That, and I need to spin another bobbin of yak to finish someone's Christmas present...but we'll see. Sitting in chairs, I've learned, takes a whole group of muscles that are not terribly happy with me just yet.

We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph, thanks for the updates, even if they are minor, at least if someone like Roly asks (yes, he did ask yesterday from the TV 'set' here in LA) I can actually say how you're doing :) If you're running out of material, may I suggest you bring back the cat(s) (and the magic) box saga, how are the cats, and what happened to the box? Also mentioning 'milestones' may be helpful to your audience to understand what you're going through, cos it is hard to understand/visualize without going through it yourself, so you're all we got to understand what it's really like. ANYway, just a suggestion, and I guess you'll be just fine by the reunion, right? ;-)

Stephanie said...

I should be fine by the reunion...as long as you're going to come with me!! Isn't that one of the few privileges of having something like cancer, that you get to blackmail your friends into doing something with you?

Give Roly my love! I'll try to keep up on the updates a little better.