Monday, October 20, 2008

Just a slight complication

Ok, so we went to the doctor late this afternoon....
3:15-ish, they called, we jumped in the car.

Dr. cleared out all kinds of GUNK with many swabs that hurt quite a lot, and decided that I probably have an infection in the vaginal cuff. Not good. He thinks I also had a seratoma (seroma? it's not in my medical dictionary) which is a pocket of fluid that gets trapped in between tissue & things when they're doing surgery. He believes that when some of the internal stitches were dissolving, that serotoma burst, leading to all the icky discharge and fluid gushes I had, flushing the ball of suture material out. Ick. Apparently, those need to be drained if they form because they can breed germs and yuck.

After being thoroughly inspected and cleaned out a bit, with NO small amount of pain, Dr. Davis gave me:
--very strong, very expensive antibiotics
--prescription iron therapy, because I'm so low it's scary
--pain meds
--a new form of estrogen therapy, a funky spray
--& a single pyridium tablet, so that tomorrow, I can take it, and test to see if I have a potential fistula between the vaginal canal and bladder or urethra. (this would not be a good thing)

I am also to soak in a hot bath twice a day, take a bunch of vitamin C every day, and make an appointment with the oncologist for sometime next week if possible.

I *think* that's it...but I'm very tired, and very achy and hurt in a number of places. But, Dr. is great, and certainly seems to be covering all the bases!

We made a stop at Target for very important underwear related purchases (aren't y'all glad you get to hear about such details of my life?), got meds and such at Costco, and had dinner at Marie Callenders. Ahh....comfort food in an actual restaurant!!! (and sugar-free apple pie!) Now I'm trying to come down from it all--the most activity I've had in a helluva long time--and get myself ready to sleep.

Oh, and I got a flu shot at Costco.

And a special note to all of those of you who have sent me wonderful, long, newsy emails about cool things, elections in foreign countries, trips, love lives, birds, dogs, triathlons and greenhouses (you know who you are), I promise I will write all of you back properly in the immediate future. I just haven't felt very good the last few days, as you can kind of imagine. I'm sure I'll be flat out in bed tomorrow after today's adventures, so I should have plenty of emailing time.... Love you all.

No comments: