Saturday, October 11, 2008

Walking, but not roller skating.

Yet. It was pretty hard to resist though, even knowing that I'd drop about 5 minutes after I hit the rink floor.

Yes, I made my first out-of-the-house excursion today (excluding one doctor's appointment and trip to Rite-Aid) to the roller rink for Em's birthday party, which was entertaining. I was just hugely jealous that I wasn't able to get out there and go zooming around like back in the old Roller World days.

But I promise, I am walking, daily. It may be as simple as going downstairs, feeding the dogs, taking them out potty, bringing them back in, getting myself some water, and walking back upstairs to my bed, but anyone who's been here can testify that's not too bad, actually. I've got a treadmill here in the bedroom, so I figure I need to start doing a few minutes a day on the lowest speed soon. I even sat on the floor yesterday and gently tested some of my stretches, to see how it felt. So, I'm getting there.

But not tomorrow.

My little excursion of 2 hours sitting on a bench in a roller rink has exhausted me. Sitting, and a few walks to the bathroom. Serious exhaustion. Just the muscle ache in my back and abs from sitting upright and unsupported like that did me in.

Dawn warned me today that it took her 9 months before she was back to normal enough to go back to work, and 6 months just for post-catheter issues to resolve. *sigh* It's depressing to know that it's going to take that long, but it's really good to talk to someone who's been through this exact thing and knows the score. Helps me feel better that where I'm at right now is "normal" for this point after surgery. So for that, thanks bunches.

Now I'm going to attempt to eat, and attempt to do more serious resting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All sounds good, espec. the stretches, but don't stress too much about the time to "normal" - you'll be feeling lots better before then. It's not an overnight change. :)

love ya,

d.o.d.

Jaime said...

The treadmill sounds like a good idea. Nice, safe and you can fall into bed when it gets to be too much.

Pushing is good and testing your limits. Since I was back to work in the bookstore six weeks after my hysterectomy, I'm not going to completely agree with six to nine months. I think you're going to be able to do a hell of a lot more and feel a hell of a lot better than you think long before six months go by.

And yes, you are going to be exhausted at first. But the more you do, the sooner you stop being exhausted. Lying in bed is a huge part of what saps away all your strength. There is 'resting' and there is languishing. *g*

You'll get there.

Love you
Mom