Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"There is no try, only do"

No offense Yoda, but.... bullshit. There is a lot of try.

Yes, today's word boys and girls is "Try." As in, I am going to TRY and feel well enough, even if I don't feel well enough, to accompany the rest of the family all the way out to Roseville to Kaiser, where everybody gets flu shots (except me, I got mine) and the little one gets her first Gardasil vaccine.

That's the big deal, you see. Both the official literature and anecdotal evidence say that that these boogers HURT. A lot. Her friend had an entire shoulder swell up, and I've been told of lots of girls who get a number of the side effects afterwards. So, I fully expect it to hurt her like hell, and I fully expect her to come down with at least half, if not all of the side effects. (however, I am not telling her what all of them are, or she will manifest ALL of them within an hour of getting the shot, trust me) I would like to be there for her first one, as both moral support and object lesson all in one.

We've discussed being strong, and that even if it hurts, it's not something to cry about, it's something to be proud of, because she won't have to go through what I have this last few months. And I threatened that if she didn't promise to be strong, I'd show her my incisions. Didn't work--little Miss CSI-wannabe/frogcatcher isn't squeamish and the incision doesn't scare her. I think I'm about 2 years too late on that one. (But proud of her)

So, we shall see. I'm giving myself until around noon to decide, because that's about when I'd have to start the long process of getting up and showered and dressed for the odyssey. I'm still in a lot of pain from my previous adventures, and I'm having my own fun flu shot side effects.

But I will try. Try, try, try.
Missing things, and making them feel the effects of me having cancer are the hardest parts of all of this. There are so many things I can't do, and sometimes that means that "they" can't do them either and I have to disappoint them, and that part sucks. Big time.

No comments: