Friday, January 9, 2009

And CHOP goes the hair!

Well, it was an interesting (and very, very tiring) day. First, I visited the ever-talented Miss Amber, who made tiny braided locks of my hair to cut off before chopping the crap out of the rest of it. It's an adorable, very 80s-punk look, but of course it's very upsetting and stressful, no matter how cute it is. The photos here actually don't do the hair justice, because I'd just finished laying on it for 2 hours and then driving home and being exhausted. As to what *I* look like, however, they're pretty accurate. Cancer is very, very not pretty.
Today's agenda, after hair cutting, then ran to radiation, ophthalmology and then seeing my medical oncologist, the chemo doc. Radiation went as normal.
The good part of my eye doctor visit was that nothing compelling was found. I have a new prescription, of course, and will need to wear my glasses a lot, perhaps most, of the time. Physiologically though, there is nothing wrong with my eyes, so the educated guess is that my evening vision problems all stem from medications, radiation, chemo, and otherwise just having cancer. That's good news, but yet frustrating, because it means that there are still going to be far too many times that I can't read or do things like a normal person!
Dr. Mazj, the chemo guy, is generally pleased with what he's seeing in this very short time, except for of course the hydration issues. Next thing I know, I'm hooked back up to an IV! This is where the laying on my hair comes in... This time, I was smart, and I went to sleep. Very smart.
I am going to be equally smart now and sign off of here and go READ something while I can. Let's see how long I can stay awake....and I want macaroni & cheese. Hmm......

4 comments:

Cindi Amador said...

Don't worry, you're going to be great. You will be tired and when you are you will thank your lucky stars for the short managable hair. Even when it's all gone, it will be a relief. Oh, I was going to tell you that you need to be careful with your bikini line. I got the worst rash there from the loss of hair. Just keep some good lotion on in that area. Kinda personal info I know, but I just want to be of help. Also, wanted to tell you that I had problems with my eyes too. Especially after my bone marrow transplant. Couldn't read at all. Couldn't focus on anything that small. If you are a reader, buy some books on tape. It will make you feel better. Hang in there...you can get through it!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have sooo much symphathy for the eye problems because I have old age eyes and it makes me crazy.If I had to choose between weighing 125 lbs. again or having perfect vision I think I would choose the perfect vision. Oh who am I kidding, I would choose skinny and blind.As for the hair thing, I have seen you almost bald before and you were extremely cute.You were in diapers then, but who's keeping track.
I had a friend when I worked at the phone company who at her six week postpartum check up discovered that the lump in her groin was cancer. Debbie lost all of her hair and it came back in dark and curly instead of straight and blond. I found her in the bathroom at work screaming at her hair that she didn't know how to comb it. We laughed till we had tears streaming down our faces. Don't let the suspense kill you but expect surprises Steph. You too could turn Italian one day!
I love you, hang in there. You are Cancer Vixen and you will kick it's butt!

Auntie

Anonymous said...

Steph,

You have always been adorable, no matter how long or short or absent your hair was. Your hair does not define who you are! Because you are an amazing person and you get to look forward to what color and texture it grows back in...sounds like you could take some bets and make some money on the side with that fact...:) Look kiddo, I know how I feel about my hair and us goils like our hair to be a certain way or we don't feel we look so good, I cannot begin to know how you will feel sans hair, but I do know that you have amazing support and this is just another hiccup in the grand scheme of it all. You do not look bad either...you look tired, wow, imagine that, tired. With all you have been going through! I love you and think you look beautiful & amazing!!! I am so proud of you, and so proud to be your aunt!!! When my best friend was fighting cancer, she embraced her "baldness" by wearing beautiful earrings. She loved the chandelier kind. She said she got so many wonderful comments on her earrings and it made her feel like it took the focus off of her head. You might try something like that or find something else that might work for you. Anyway, didn't mean for this to be a novel, but I wanted to chime in and remind how much you are loved by us out here in the boonies in So. Cal. Grandma says hi and keep up the fight and she loves you very very much!
I love you too!
--Aunt Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I love the haircut, and I think you're still absolutely beautiful- chemo and all.
~Lisa Vigil