Wednesday, January 21, 2009

And now, we wait.

As of yesterday, I am done with chemo number three out of six. That is a major milestone, because I've been told that IF one's hair is to all fall out, it tends to do it after treatment two or three.

Well, I made it past two, let's see how I do between three and four...
Originally, I wasn't too paranoid that it was going to fall out. Dr. Mazj said only 30% chance--but then the dermatologist ran his hands through my hair, looked at it and said, and I quote, "Your hair is going to fall out." Oh. Ok.

So, off I went and chopped, so that I could have a few little locks to save for posterity, and so that if it WAS coming out, the transition would be easier. I admit, I really miss my hair. Really miss it... But, the transition will be much, much easier, without a doubt. I've gotten used to short, and cold ears, and learning to wear hats, and those are big steps. If it starts to go, I'm ready for it, and if it doesn't, well, I will be kind of pissed off, after everyone went to all the trouble of helping me with hats and haircuts and advice and everything...but I have a cute 80s punk cut, and it will grow back.

I guess the only downside to it not falling out is that I won't dye it lime green if it's not coming out anyway, because Amber would probably kill me, having to repair the damage from 40vol bleach and lime green dye from Hot Topic!! Wouldn't you dear? ;-)

But, no matter what, this is going to be a rather nerve-wracking week. I already run my hands through it and see what happens at least twice a day. I kind of just want it to get it over with! Either do it or don't, I'm tired of waiting.

In other news, after this weekend's HELL, and yesterday's chemo, I feel like hell, but still vastly improved from Monday. I'm mainly human, just very tired and feeling really weak and wobbly. I think this is going to be a kind of fragile week for me, so I need to take it really easy and pound fluids endlessly. I am deeply grateful to the folks at the Gatorade company for making a (relatively) low-sugar version of Gatorade, so I can drink it.

Hopefully, if I concentrate on resting and fluids all week, I'll make it to next chemo without any unfortunate incidents!

I may have some company in my resting this afternoon, if my professional stepmotherly diagnosis of the little one is correct. She says she feels pukey. I think she feels unhappy about her new braces. She was in pain yesterday when they got put on, that was very, very clear. As mopey and groan-y as she was, I could tell there was very real ache going on in there, and I babied her as much as I could. She deserved it, and she needed it. She deserves a lot more babying in life than she's ever got, but I try, even though I'm not very good at it.

But today, if she really IS pukey, I can't have her anywhere near me, and finding that out made her even more mopey and teary. But, I can't take the chance of getting any form of sick at all. If my diagnosis is correct though, by the time I get back from radiation this afternoon, she will have undergone a rapid recovery from all potentially contagious physical ailments and be ready to play Scrabble or do a puzzle with me.

She looks cute with her braces, at least in my opinion. I'll have to get a picture once she's feeling a little less sorry for herself about them. One minute she's fine, like it's a cool status symbol, and the next, she's teary-eyed like she's going to just die. I suspect this is normal, yes? Her big brother is no help at all, because every time we have a question about what something was like when he had his, the only answer is "I don't remember." He's either truly that clueless, or just being a butt. Sadly, it's probably the former.

Wow...I've been out of bed less than an hour and a half, mainly sitting here at the computer, and I am so beat already, I feel like I've been exercising. I really am going to have to take it easy! Just getting dressed to go up to radiation will probably kick the hell out of me. It's about 30 minutes until time to go get showered and ready to go, and I'm feeling like it's time to go back to bed for the day. Not a good sign! I'd go lay down for those 30 minutes, but I would NOT get back up...I know myself...
Must stay upright and amuse myself and not fall back asleep!!!
I think I've covered all of the updates I wanted to update on here. I can't think of anything else too terribly interesting right now. I guess that means I'll go kill some time playing facebook scrabble. Anyone else want to play? I'm always looking for new opponents!

1 comment:

darcy said...

They put braces on me about 28 years ago and I remember the pain. Yuck. it sucked. Bad news is that after you get used to it they tighten them and then it hurts all over again. Good news is someday they will come off.