Wednesday, January 21, 2009

George.....AND MARTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I get excited about my bald eagles! We got a double sighting today, so now I know for sure that we've got a pair.
I've also learned that I was wrong about George versus Martha. I had to look it up, and according to the web, in eagles, which have little to no sexual dimorphism (differences in appearance between the sexes), the females are the bigger, heavier animals, with bigger beaks and talons.
SO, the bigger bird I've been seeing most of these times, on the right here and in the solo picture, is really Martha! George is the smaller male.
Needless to say, a sighting of both of them, together, pretty well sent me over the moon. The pictures don't do them justice, and I can't really get the photos big enough on the blog to show as much detail as they have. They are just spectacular birds!!!!
Since we were parked near them, I also got a picture of our gorgeous tundra swans. We have thousands of swans, in nearly every flooded field around.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I get excited when you see bald eagles !!! I saw a golden eagle down here by me, it was about 6' away from me. I was so excited I came home and called Fish and Game dept because I thought eagle sightings had to be reported. They said not necessary to do so and then said to me, "wasn't it too cool to see one that close "! They told me that eagles have a hunting area of 200 miles from the nest.......I had no clue. But oh so exciting to see it up close and personal ! Love your pictures by the way. Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,
This is your cuz Rhonda, I was at Aunt Jeannies for Christmas and she told me about all that you have been going through.

I wish we lived closer, so that I could help you in anyway that you might need.

I'm amazed that with all that you have to deal with that you have the strength and humor to write this blog.

The Steph I grew up with is a fighter and would not give up until she got what she wanted.

I'm glad you have a great family and support system to lean on when needed.

It is a shame that is takes something like this to have family members get in touch with each other again, (i'm also guilty of this, but I did send you an e-mail when I found your business e-mail, but I never at a response, that is when Aunt Jeannie told me about all that you have going on) I hope we don't lose touch again.

I have great memories of us as kids jumping off Great Grandpa Suttles camper in his front yard, climbing all over Aunt Annies hugh tractor, playing in Grandma's yard climbing all over the big rocks.

I can only imagine what you have been going through, but I know that the MAN upstairs is looking over you and giving you the strength when you think you don't have any more.

Let's make an effort to stay in touch, when you get the chance would you please send me your address and phone number. My e-mail is myorca123@aol.com.

I know that you will over come this time in your life.

I'm sending you hugs and kiss's (you can never have too many)

Love you,
Rhonda

Stephanie said...

Annie,
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about the eagles and other strange wildlife! My animal obsession has never gone away, 'tho I'm about ready to strangle a fluffy gray pain in the ass cat who's hanging over my shoulder. The big birds are definitely the coolest part of driving around up here. I'm hoping to get a good picture of the sandhill cranes, but they tend to hang out at a spot where pulling over isn't really an option. We'll see though!

And I loved, loved, loved your eagle story. I'm sorry, but that cracked me up pretty seriously. :-)
~S

Jaime said...

George and Martha!!! How freakin cool is that?

That is so awesome. And the swans are just the topper for me.

More in email later.

Love you
Mom