Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So, let's try a post while I'm somewhat awake, shall we? I do qualify that with "somewhat" for good reason!
Today, we went and saw Andy first thing in the morning, to address my diabetes issues and get me on a new medication for that. My old one does nasty things with the chemo drug, so they can't be used together. Now I'm on insulin. Yay. I get to give myself shots. But, I don't have to give myself shots if my glucose reading is below a certain level, which mine very often is, so it shouldn't be too bad.
I am also on a very low dose of synthroid, because my thyroid levels are a little screwed up, meaning my metabolism is a tad sluggy, which could explain a few things. We're hoping to just kick-start it a little.
In some great news, we seem to have found a combination of drugs that keep my chronic pain and the neuropathy-from-hell really damned well under control. Yay for Andy! You can not say enough for a doc who lets you figure out what actually works for you.
Radiation is getting slightly more interesting, in that I'm starting to feel some of the effects from it. Nothing major, just that I can tell its happening, inside and out.
Today was also the dermatology clinic at the center. Once a month, a big-time dermo guy from Chico comes out and does this program with the cancer patients, giving everyone one-on-one evaluation time and big bags full of big-size skincare goodies. In my case, he would like to see me in his office (complimentary) asap, because I seem to be getting some major rosacea from the chemo, which is apparently common. Major sunblock is a MUST, and he wants to look at me in depth and see about some prescription drugs for the rosacea. I guess we'll see!
I also have to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist asap, because this vision thing is totally out of control. Sometimes my glasses help, sometimes nothing helps, and the world is just blurry, blurry, blurrrrrrrry. Andy worries, because of the whole diabetes-vision connection and the potential for issues, so he wants me off to a doc asap. My wonderous social worker at the cancer center found me an eye care group who will take my medi-cal card to fix me up and they're right across from the hospital, so that should work out well.
I think that's it for now...my eyes are starting to get a little fuzzy right now, so that means I've done enough typing. Evenings are when it hits, when I'm tired....
More post when I have more to post about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

steph, what kinds of side affects are you feeling from the radiation?
~Lisa Vigil