Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The most amazing hat in the entire history of hats!

Today I received many hats. MANY hats. My amazing mother crocheted something like 6 or 8 hats for me in about 4 milliseconds, it seems, as well as sewing me a pile of squishy, smooshy, 2-layer knit fabric hats which will be heaven for sleeping in and laying around the house.
And, her friend Jodi, whom I have never met and know absolutely nothing about, knitted me this unbelieveable, red-heathered, spiral-ridged, silk blend PERFECT hat. It is the most perfect hat in the history of perfect hats. It fits me better than any hat I've ever made, making the pattern a very valuable commodity.

This is a picture of someone else's version of the Perfect Hat.
And now I have the pattern!
I already have yarn balled up and ready to be cast on to make more of these Perfect Hats.
{Jodi, whoever you are, wherever you are, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. You are one of many people who have come out of the woodwork to perform some randomly kind act for me. We may never meet, but you made a kind-of sad, depress-y day infinitely better because I got a great hat from a stranger. It sounds silly that a hat can do something profound, but it can. Being a knitter myself, I know what it is to put needles to yarn and create something beautiful, and I am therefore doubly thankful that you've shared one of your creations with me. There is something about this nasty disease that brings out the best in people, (don't ask me why!) and I want you to know how thankful I really am.}
Then, my order from the American Cancer Society catalog came, with two more utterly adorable hats I ordered, hat liners, headbands, and mesh sleep cap things which are designed to catch all the hair as it falls out.

These are my two Cancer Society hats, only of course both of MINE are black. The top one is black with an ivory "silk" flower which is sort of screaming at me to be replaced with something I've knitted myself.

The bottom one is black with a black flower.




As I opened my bounty, I was still wearing Jodi's Perfect Hat, which I had sworn to never take off.



AND THEN!

THEN!!!
Oh my...what happened next.....
I received a package with a return address from S & M Fancipance. Hmm. I had no idea what that meant (and was too spaced to recognize the street address) until I opened the package to find a card with an elephant, and some very familiar handwriting.
Scout and Megan, being the incredible people they are, found the most outrageously extravagant warm and gorgeous confection for me... and I confess, I pulled Jodi's Perfect hat off my head without even a second thought. (although it got put back on pretty soon after, and is still there...)
Oh, Mr. & Ms. Fancipance, you have outdone yourselves!!!

Behold, all, the hat which Scout feels will make me both gorgeous and warm while I am am bald.
Do hats GET any more amazing than this?
I know the photos do not do this justice...it is green fur.
The green fur is so soft and pettable that Anna and I have decided it is like petting Oz. (for those of you who have never had the honor of petting Oz, I'll clue you in--his fur is like plush velvet) The sparkles are sparkly. The lining is a silky-soft silkyness.
I am going to wear it with both pride and joy.
Scout and Megan, thank you, thank you, thank you.
I am honestly humbled by all of the kind and wonderful things that people do for me, and have been doing for me since my visit from the Cancer Fairy. It's pretty impressive. It inspires me to want to do kind and wonderful things for other people, which then simultaneously frustrates me because I'm pretty well unable to do ANYthing productive!
I just keep telling myself that the time will come when I can, and that I *will* remember.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, holy hat day! I am glad you had a fun mail day Steph, mine was all bills! God bless you Jodi, whoever and wherever you are, for taking care of my neice.

Love you!
Auntie

auntie Annie said...

I'm your auntie too......auntie Annie! Just heard today about all you are going through. Wish I lived closer so I could make you some soup and a grilled cheese sandwich (I don't know how to knit hats)! All our best wishes and thoughts are being sent to you, Ericka and Krista are concerned and send their love. You do what the doctor tells you but most of all hang on to your sense of humor.You do come from a pretty funny family you know! Lots of love, auntie Annie

Jaime said...

Tell Scout I applaud his taste in hats. *g* It's the sparkly bits that make it special.

The crochet took a little more than 4 milliseconds, but they do go fast. I should actually make some for myself, being winter and 6 degrees outside. *g*

Love you
Mom

Stephanie said...

In re Scouts amazing hat, it is also the fact that it is made of Oscar the Grouch colored fur that makes it amazing. One must have a bold fashion attitude to wear Grouch-green fur with spangles.

It should be even more interesting finding outfits worthy of this high-fashion creation, but I think I will be daring enough to wear my green fur and spangles even with sweats. I think Megan (having already been through this lovely fashion phase in her life) would approve heartily, and Scout would certainly concur.

I can already tell that the only problem with this hat is that the dog keeps trying to lick it.

And hi there Auntie Annie! It's good to hear from you. Welcome to cancer hell. It's a bizarre, morbidly humorous little place, but it's homey. Feel free to invite others to drop by. And yes, I do indeed come from a pretty funny family, in all senses of the word. ;-)

I'd babble some more, but it's time to go get dressed so I can go get my insides nuked into charcoal. SO much fun. But maybe I'll see George on my way up the mountain. (George is my pet bald eagle, even if he doesn't know he's been adopted yet)

More later...

Anonymous said...

I love the green hat, kudos for getting that to you!!! Makes you want to look at yourself in the mirrora!!!
--Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph. It's Ericka. Jeannie sent me an email with your blog address and told me what is going on with you. She thought she had told me before but I would've remembered. I'm sorry you're going through all this. It sucks! LOVE, love, love the green hat by the way! I can so see you wearing it.
Take care cousin and Krista and I are cheering you on.

Stephanie said...

Rick, hey, great to hear from you! I hope things are going well for you. If you don't have cancer, you're doing a hell of a lot better than I am.

Yeah, the green hat is amazing, and so is the giver of the green hat! If you're on facebook, look me up, otherwise, you can follow my oh-so-much-fun cancer glee on here.

It really is nice to hear from you guys. Give Krissy a hug from me.
Love ya,
~S