Friday, September 19, 2008

Anyone got a plastic bubble I can borrow?

Well, we got one kid back to school, even though he still sounds like a freight train when he coughs, but the little one is back in bed. It sounds like a colony of aliens are living in her lungs... So far, so good, but my throat hurts. And I'm tired. And I'm hurt-y. And whiny.

But, more steps in the march toward surgery were completed yesterday. Blood given, nails cemented back to my fingers. Major Walmart haul completed, so now I have plenty of flavored bubbly water, low-sugar electrolyte replacing drinks, clear liquid soups, sugar free pudding, jello and popsicles, and a nice collection of bland microwavable comfort-food meals Lloyd can make me with very little fuss once I'm home and able to eat anything. Utterly thrilling stuff, but necessary. And it kept me out of the house and away from the infectious ones.

The pre-admit interview with the hospital told me what to expect pre- and post-surgery. I'll be in the OR for about/at least 3 and 1/2 hours, and in recovery for another two. Doing the math, that means if they start on time at 1:45, I should be in surgery until about 5:15, and in recovery until at least 7:15, so not into a room any time before 7:30 or 8, just after visiting hours are over.

It is probable that I will end up on the 5th floor, East ward. The phone number to that ward is 650-940-7120. Feel free to impersonate a family member if you aren't actually related to me and call for information. They have no idea how many siblings I have. Oh, and the hospital computer systems can not handle hyphenated last names like mine, so my records have it all blurred together as one long, bizarre last name--Maidennamemarriedname. Confusing. (Ask me if you're not sure just how that comes out, because I really don't want to post it up here)

Dad will be visited in the waiting room by the surgeon once he's done with me, and then the phone calls can start while I'm still in recovery, so the word should go out around 6 on how things went. I do, of course, have a plan for phone calls, email and blog updates. Dad and Lloyd will make calls, and my unofficial surgery CIO will help get the word out to everyone via email and a post here on the blog. I guess what's sad about that is that she's had to do the same job for me something like 4 times previously, and we're getting it down to an art!

The oncologist's nurse called me back yesterday to confirm the message I left her, saying that my gut (along with everyone I've talked to) said I wanted to go with the open laparotomy instead of the scope. She says she does have to confirm that with the doc, but it should be fine by him. He did offer me the choice in the first place. So, that was one more final piece settling in place, and should be confirmed for sure-for sure today or Monday. Yay. It's a longer, nastier recovery, but at least I'll have peace of mind that they really did get a good look inside there and remove anything and everything I have no immediate use for.

Today, more yoga-therapy, lunch out with my husband and hopefully some rest this afternoon. I didn't get my nap yesterday, and it definitely made a difference. I think I'm still shocked at how low my energy levels get. Then again, I still haven't got my mind entirely around the fact that I have cancer. Go figure.

Time to go get ready to get relaxed. Namaste.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Make sure Lloyd calls me first. He gets to keep his ranking as son-in-law in good standing that way. *g*

Get some rest today. Do not get sick.

Love you
Mom