Monday, September 22, 2008

T minus 50 hours and counting...

Ah, we're at a point where I can actually count hours until hospital arrival. I'm getting nervous, to say the least. Not nervous about getting the surgery done, more like nervous that something will go wrong and delay it! It's like that pre-tradeshow bundle of nerves that would keep me up all night the night before I was supposed to get on a plane, running lists in my head....

No yoga today, as it turns out, due to a slight scheduling snafu, but that actually works out fine, because I woke up with a huge headache. Tension, which undoubtedly would have been helped by the yoga, but I'm perfectly ok with not driving up to Chico and working on it at home. I've got plenty to keep me occupied here...


Otherwise, I'm pleased to report that I have nothing to report. Pain...lots of pain... I think the damned thing knows its days are numbered! Otherwise, just various housekeeping tasks and preparing to pack. Opinion question for anyone down in the Bay Area: Do I want my big long fluffy warm robe, or my shorter lighter robe? If I pack the big one, it practically needs its own suitcase, but I don't want to be cold. Hmm.


Oops, now there is something to report: I got a call back from the doctor's nurse just now, confirming that the surgery will indeed be scheduled as an open laparotomy procedure, which means I will have a longer post-op recovery period (fine, whatever) and will be in the hospital until at least Saturday, perhaps as long as Monday. Fine by me, just make it go away!!!! I'm not sure if the change will affect the actual OR time for the surgery; if open takes longer than lap, or vice versa, since looking through a little tube might well take longer than just slicing me open wide, so that's up in the air too. I'm quite sure the CIO will update everyone as soon as we know. Off to do exciting pre-op tasks like laundry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably the lighter robe. Yahoo weather says today's high/lo is 74/56, and I'm comfortable in my usual uniform of bare feet, shorts & t-shirt outside. Forecast for Tues. & Weds. is 79/57, then back down to 74/56 by Fri. & cooler (70-72) beginning Sat.

d.o.d.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the lighter robe, it was about 80 (?!) today in sunny Newark, Mt. View will be warmer, weather.com says 80 Tuesday & Wed, with 70's during the rest of the week for your 'stay'...

Jaime said...

I've never been in a hospital, ever, where I wasn't freezing. Keep in mind that the temps outside don't mean a thing when it comes to how cold it will be inside.

If nothing else, put the big fluffy robe in the car. Lloyd can always bring it inside for you if you get there and think you'll be cold. It doesn't have to be in the suitcase, it just has to be there.

Love you
Mom