Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hippo birdie & 7 elephants!



Yay for elephants! And tigers, and frisbee dogs, and goats riding miniature horses, a porcupine who pops balloons and one wee little piggie who just kind of ran out there for the sake of running out there.

The circus was indeed spectacular, and a good time was had by all, even the skeptical, cynical older ones.
I have to say--this was one hell of a show. The aerial acts, acrobats and special effects they had were incredible, and the lead clown they had kind of acting as the theme player of the show was actually a great, funny European style clown in the tradition of my own personal clown hero, Olaf. For those who know, you know that I know a thing or two about aerialists and a clown named Olaf.

We all walked around the "animal open house" outside, where we got to watch some very contented elephants giving themselves dirt baths and munching from only a few feet away. Once inside, Anna and I hit the show floor for the all-access pre-show, where kids can try on circus costumes, pose on props, meet clowns, most importantly, watch Kelly Ann the elephant paint a pretty picture. Unfortunately, we were not chosen from the entries to win the painting. We were bummed.

However, we did spend outrageous amounts of money on things like cotton candy in giant circus tophats and sparkly matching t-shirts for us girls and everyone did a lot of ooh- and ahhh-ing and laughing. It was definitely a great end of summer, forget-I-have-to-go-have-cancer event.

Now, we must move on to the next phase of our birthday celebrations, today being the actual day, and clean the kitchen up so that I can make a birthday cake modeled after a giant Oreo. Yes, I can make Oreo filling. :-)

I think she's going to burst if I make her wait too much longer into the day to get her presents, but we want to make the suspense last for a while and it's only 10 am, so she's got some waiting to do still.

Going to the circus is a great way to forget you have pain. The pain comes back, unfortunately, but at least it's manageable now with the meds. Lots to get done between now and surgery day...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was very happy with the circus. Even better than when Steph and I went two years ago. To put it in one word "Fantastic". Even the 2 skeptical boys seemed to be thrilled, laughing their heads off and clapping. Anna was, of course, thrilled. It was good for Steph to get out and loose her worries for a couple of hours.

And I'll echo her comments to those who may think the circus abuses their animals. Not this one. To watch the animals react with their handlers and see the physical condition of the animals, there is no way they are abused. Quite the contrary, they seem to be pampered and much loved.

Anonymous said...

And your other Auntie says...I am glad that you forgot about your illness while at the circus and for Anna's sake so she could have a good birthday weekend. You see, you were worried for nothing, you have turned into the most wonderful and loving (step) mom possible! I had no doubts about that, ever! Not alot of people would be so unselfish, in the midst of what you are dealing with, you're a natural at the mom thing, and I love you and am so proud of you! As for your surgery, your Uncle, your Grandma, 2 cousing and I will be holding nothing but good thoughts, they will get it all, and you will go on to continue to be the great mom that those 3 critters know and love! I love you tons!

Jaime said...

Do your mother a favor and email me a copy of the picture of Anna in the cape, please.

I want that one to keep. :)

I'm so glad you had fun.

Love you
Mom