Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blah Blah Blog

Again, nothing much interesting to report. I painted my toenails bright teal in honor of my official cancer color. Teal. Ick. But oh well.

Pre-op phone interviews and lab tests have been figured out. The mondo Costco trip is done. Birthday goodies for a small girl have been purchased at Hot Topic, and just need wrapping. I got a teeny ceramic black cat in the Halloween section at Target and feel fulfilled. (I almost-sort-of collect vintage and vintage-looking Halloween decorations)

Lloyd and I even took the luxury of wandering around Chico's little excuse for a mall just for the sake of doing it. I figure I'd better enjoy my excursions to the max before my enforced confinement!
I also used my newfound status as a wise, old, world-weary, outspoken cancer patient to climb briefly on a soapbox with the adorable girls in Hot Topic. They were sweet, and talkative, and didn't give me the usual "you are too damned old to walk through our door" look I usually get in there. They were probably in their latest teens or early 20s, since they were working on a school day, and they helped me out with a little plastic "placeholder" piece of jewelry for my belly piercing that I can keep in during surgery.

That led to one asking politely what kind of surgery I was having, and I used the opportunity to ask if they'd had the Gardasil vaccine. Neither one had, so I took the liberty of telling them how strongly I felt that they really, really should, so that they didn't have to go have a bunch of their insides ripped out later, like I do. Amazingly, I actually left there feeling like they might just go do it.

Good.

I have a feeling that my future gift needs for the little one will involve many shopping trips back to that Hot Topic, so maybe I'll check up on them later. Now, I will rest. A lot.

And, yes, today is that day that I will never forget. An awful lot of indelible awful memories are etched in my brain from that horrible day 7 years ago, and I've had a chance to share some of that with the kids, as they grow older and understand.

My most sincere condolences go out to anyone and everyone who lost someone that day.

http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/media/tribute/tribute.html

No comments: